Getting a new puppy can be a joyous experience, but it can also be challenging, especially when it comes to getting your puppy to sleep through the night. Here are some tips to help your new furry friend get the rest they need:
- Stick to a routine: Dogs thrive on routine, so establish a consistent bedtime and wake-up time for your puppy.
- Create a comfortable sleeping environment: Make sure your puppy has a comfortable bed and that the room is quiet and dark.
- Establish a pre-bedtime routine: A routine before bedtime can signal to your puppy that it’s time to wind down. Try playing soft music or reading a book to your puppy.
- Tire them out: Puppies have a lot of energy, so make sure your puppy gets plenty of exercise during the day to help them sleep better at night.
- Limit water intake: To avoid waking up in the middle of the night for potty breaks, limit your puppy’s water intake in the hours leading up to bedtime.
- Potty breaks before bedtime: Take your puppy outside for a potty break right before bedtime to minimize the chances of accidents during the night.
- Crate train your puppy: Crate training can help your puppy feel secure and prevent them from roaming around and getting into trouble during the night.
- Be patient: It may take some time for your puppy to adjust to their new sleeping routine, so be patient and consistent with your training.
By following these tips, you can help your new puppy sleep through the night and ensure that both you and your furry friend get the rest you need.
- American Kennel Club. (2021). Puppy Sleep: What to Expect. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/puppy-sleep-what-to-expect/
- PetMD. (2021). How to Get a Puppy to Sleep Through the Night. https://www.petmd.com/dog/training/how-get-puppy-sleep-through-night