Potty training a puppy can be a challenging task, especially when you have a stubborn one. However, with patience, consistency, and positive reinforcement, you can successfully train your puppy to potty outside. Here are some tips and strategies that can help you in this process:
- Establish a routine – Puppies thrive on routine, so it is essential to establish a consistent feeding and potty schedule. Take your puppy out to potty at the same times every day to help them understand when it’s time to go.
- Use a designated potty area – Designate a specific spot in your yard for your puppy to go potty. Take your puppy to that spot every time they need to go, so they associate that area with potty time.
- Use positive reinforcement – Praise your puppy every time they go potty outside. Use treats, toys, and verbal praise to reward good behavior.
- Supervise your puppy – Keep a close eye on your puppy when they are inside to prevent accidents. If you can’t supervise them, crate them or confine them to a small area.
- Be patient – Potty training takes time, and accidents will happen. Don’t punish your puppy for accidents, and don’t give up. Stay consistent, and eventually, your puppy will learn.
- Clean up accidents properly – Use an enzymatic cleaner to clean up accidents thoroughly. This will help eliminate odors and prevent your puppy from going potty in the same spot again.
- Avoid punishment – Never punish your puppy for accidents or going potty inside. This can create fear and anxiety, making potty training more difficult.
By following these tips and strategies, you can successfully potty train your stubborn puppy. Remember, patience, consistency, and positive reinforcement are key. Good luck!
- American Kennel Club. (n.d.). How to Potty Train a Puppy: A Comprehensive Guide for Success. Retrieved from https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/how-to-potty-train-a-puppy/
- PetMD. (2019, June 18). Tips for Potty Training a Stubborn Puppy. Retrieved from https://www.petmd.com/dog/training/evr_dg_tips-for-potty-training-a-stubborn-puppy