Calmly and patiently calming down a puppy is a necessary skill for any dog owner. Puppies can become overly excited, anxious, or hyperactive, which can lead to unwanted behavior, such as chewing, biting, or excessive barking. Fortunately, there are many ways to calm down a puppy, and here are ten effective techniques to try:
- Exercise: Puppies have a lot of energy, and regular exercise can help them release it in a healthy way. Playtime, walks, and other physical activities can help calm down a puppy by tiring them out.
- Socialization: Puppies that are well-socialized are less likely to be anxious or fearful in new situations. Socializing your puppy with other dogs and people can help them feel more comfortable and calm.
- Massage: Massaging your puppy can help them relax and reduce their stress levels. Use gentle strokes and light pressure on their back, legs, and neck to help them unwind.
- Calming Music: Playing calming music can help soothe a puppy’s nerves and promote relaxation. There are many playlists designed specifically for pets, with calming sounds and rhythms that can help them calm down.
- Lavender: The scent of lavender can have a calming effect on both humans and animals. Use a lavender spray or diffuser to help your puppy relax.
- Crate Training: A crate can be a safe and calming space for a puppy. If they are feeling overwhelmed or anxious, they can retreat to their crate to feel secure and calm.
- Positive Reinforcement: Praise and rewards can help reinforce positive behaviors and calm down a puppy. Treats, toys, and verbal affirmations can help your puppy feel loved and secure.
- Chew Toys: Puppies love to chew, and providing them with appropriate chew toys can help them release stress and anxiety. Chew toys can also help with teething.
- T-Touch: T-Touch is a technique that involves using circular movements to massage and stimulate a puppy’s body. This can help reduce stress and anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Training: Proper training can help a puppy feel more confident and calm. Positive reinforcement training can help teach your puppy good behavior and reduce anxiety.
- American Kennel Club: “How to Calm a Hyper Puppy”
- PDSA: “Top Tips for Calming a Puppy”
- Cesar’s Way: “10 Tips for Calming Your Anxious Dog”
- PetMD: “10 Ways to Calm Your Pet”
- The Spruce Pets: “7 Tips for Calming a Hyperactive Puppy”